Bookshops everywhere are worried. There’s a revolution going on and they are losing sales because of it. The revolution is that of ebooks!
Oh I know there are those who say ‘I love the feel and smell of a proper book’ but these are mostly people who have not yet got an ebook reader. Once these people have got their hands on one it doesn’t take long for them to change their minds. That means fewer sales of paper books.
Yet we all still like going to the library and browsing the books in a bookstore. Having found the book we like do we then buy the paper format or simply make a note of it and look it up at Amazon later to get it in ebook format? I have to admit, I’ve done the latter many times but felt guilty that I’ve denied the bookseller a profit from the sale. He/she has, after all, helped me in my book purchase.
So how can the bookstore make money from ebooks? I think there is an answer, and one which is simple to put in practice.
How a bookstore can cash-in on ebooks
The bookseller makes use of Amazon’s affiliate program (or even better, others such as Smashwords.) Here’s how to do this:
- If you, the bookseller, have not already joined Amazon’s associate program then sign up for it at:
UK – https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/
US – https://affiliate-program.amazon.com
Smashwords – https://www.smashwords.com/about/smashwords_affiliate_documentation
- If you do not have a Twitter account then sign up for that at
- Add the site stripe to your Amazon account
- On your computer navigate to a book’s page at Amazon and click the Twitter button on the associate site stripe toolbar
Copy the text as far as the ‘via@…
If you’re using the far more profitable Smashwords affiliate account the links are even easier to make – see here.
- Paste that text into a QL generator page on Internet. I use the QR Code generator at http://goqr.me/
- Copy the QR code generated and paste it into Word for further editing as follows:
- Print this out on a self adhesive label and fix it inside the back cover (or on the back if there’s space). You might also need to make a few posters advertising your ebook service and where the customer can get a free QR code scanner app for their mobile phone. (Try QR Droid)
You might also contact authors and invite them to send you some bookmarks featuring their book with an area on which you can stick your QL code.