They say ‘Don’t judge a book by it’s cover,’ so it doesn’t really matter
What complete rubbish! Getting a book cover right is vital because unless it catches the eye of someone looking for a book, they will never read the description, never read a sample and never make a purchase. If you are an indie author your cover will make a huge difference to your sales.
The Cover Image
Few books are successful without some sort of cover image. A good cover image should give the reader an idea of the book content. Look at the image used without any title or author text. Does it give you an idea of what to expect? Take a look at the five covers shown above. Do any of them match this book description?
With her mom in prison, and her father AWOL, ….. is sent to live with a squeaky-clean family who could have their own sitcom. She launches a full-scale plan to get sent back to the girls’ home when she finds herself in over her head…and heart.
Is there any sort of formula for judging a cover image? I would suggest looking at it without the text. Does the image give any idea of the book content? I’m judging them on Amazon’s thumbnail size – what a reader will see first.
- Silent as the grave – A large, old house, possibly an institution of some kind? Certainly NOT a castle as the book description indicates – Expectation: Ghost? Horror?
- Fresh doubt – Looks like a derelict factory. No clues here other than a man is standing in it – Expectation: Business venture?
- In between – A young girl, obviously not well off. She’s going somewhere – Expectation: New situation for a teenage girl
- To kill for – This image is too dark to make out at this scale. If you examine the book preview you can make out the object in it is a blood splattered tyre (‘tire’ for US readers) wrench. It can’t be made out clearly at the thumbnail size though. Pretty useless as an image. It’s the author name and title text which will sell here – Expectation: Something ‘dark’
- Where there’s smoke – Someone with a lamp overlooking a desert or sea; it could be either at this scale. The clothing doesn’t look western style – Expectation: Story about Africa or Asia
Of all the text on a book cover, the most important bit is not the book title but the author name! Take a look at the top five free e-books at Amazon UK (4:00pm Saturday 30th