Strangely, the best place is where you buy ebooks from. All of the big retailers who sell ebooks also offer free ebooks. Of course they don’t make money on those so you are unlikely to find them advertising them or even making them easy to find. For years I found doing a search on Amazon for ‘free ebooks‘ produced an impressive list of books with prices. The same was true for Apple, Barnes and Noble (Nook), Kobo and others. They’ve got a little better now and you can find some freebies with that search but not many among the millions which are there.
Amazon is the biggest ebook retailer and it has a free app which allows you to get books on non-Kindle devices. PCs, iOS computers, Android tablets and SmartPhones. You can even read on Linux and Ubantu using the Cloud Reader and read offline by using the Cloud Reader’s ‘Download and pin book’ option.
Where can you find free ebooks at Amazon?
- Best Sellers in Action & Adventure Fiction
- Best Sellers in Action Thriller Fiction
- Best Sellers in Crime Action Fiction
- Best Sellers in Fantasy Adventure Fiction
- Best Sellers in Fantasy
- Best Sellers in Genetic Engineering Science Fiction
- Best Sellers in Historical Fiction
- Best Sellers in Horror
- Best Sellers in Humor & Satire Fiction
- Best Sellers in Men’s Adventure Fiction
- Best Sellers in Mystery Action Fiction
- Best Sellers in Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Action Fiction
- Best Sellers in Paranormal Romance
- Best Sellers in Romance
- Best Sellers in Romantic Suspense
- Best Sellers in Science Fiction
- Best Sellers in Science Fiction Adventure
- Best Sellers in Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Best Sellers in Suspense Action Fiction
- Best Sellers in Technothrillers
What about free ebooks at iBooks?
On a Mac, launch iBooks (if you don’t have it, it’s a free download). Click on iBooks Store. On the right, you’ll see a list of ‘Quick Links’. Click on ‘Free Books’.
On an iOS device, tap ‘iBooks’, tap ‘Featured’. The ones marked ‘GET’ where the price is normally shown are free. Again, if a book is not ‘Featured’ you’ll need a link or the name of the book to search for it. Here’s two of our free ebooks at iBooks – Immortality Gene (a technothriller) and Raging Storm (a paranormal romance).
iBooks are in EPUB format.
Other free ebook sources
Smashwords is a great site for ebooks.
- You can pay via PayPal and for free ebooks you don’t have to provide any financial details.
- It has a price section which includes a prominent FREE area.
- It’s ebooks are available in multiple formats. MOBI, EPUB and others.
- It’s also often a fraction cheaper than other retailers for paid books.
- You can actually earn money by promoting ebooks there.
- You may find an author will give away coupons which let you have free or reduced price ebooks there.
- Unlike other retailers Smashwords ebooks don’t have DRM copy protection built in so you can move your ebooks onto other devices.
What about Google Play ebooks?
Project Gutenberg offers out of copyright books
What if I have a Kindle Fire and want to read an EPUB ebook?
What if I have an e-ink Kindle and want to read an EPUB ebook?
What if I want a PDF ebook?
- PDF files are designed for printing not for e-reading. Although most e-reading devices will read them, it’s a clumsy process involving lots of scrolling since the text won’t flow as it’s enlarged.
- PDF files are frequently infected with malware. Why do you think so many pirate sites are out there offering free ebooks? They want to infect your computer. If you MUST have a PDF file, get it from a non-pirate site which won’t infect you such as Smashwords.
- PDF pirate copies of ebooks are stealing from the author. Are you OK with that?